Thursday, September 1, 2011

Can't Change Facts

Why can’t people admit when they say or do something that was wrong? “I was wrong” is something that you will never hear our leaders say. That goes for both parties. It even goes for lots of regular people. Like the guy who said that in 1776 ALL people were equal. Everyone knows that was not true in the United States. You can’t say that a slave was equal to his master in a rational conversation. You can have a play on words to worm your way out but it doesn’t change the facts. Rather than admit that they are wrong people will try to change rational thought.


I wonder if we are to blame. Are we putting too much pressure on people to be perfect? People are going to make mistakes. Sometimes it is not even a mistake it is just something they overlooked. That was the case in the 1776 comment. When I corrected him I was wrong in what I wrote. I said in my comment to him that “all WHITE men were created equal”. That was not true at all. During that time if you were a poor white man you were not equal to a rich white man. I have no problem saying “I was wrong”. My wife tells me all the time when I am wrong. It’s not a big deal. This “always right” mindset is even more prevalent in elected office and I feel that we are to blame.

My reason for bringing this up is because I was watching the former Vice President pushing his book on TV for the past few days. He appears to have no regret for anything. There were a mountain of things (in my opinion) that his administration did wrong and he is okay with all of them. I am only going to list a few because I try to keep my posts short. The BILLIONS of dollars that the Clinton administration left in surplus was given away. They were warned about the attack that happened on 9-11 that cost 3000 lives. BILLIONS of dollars went missing in Iraq and to this day is still unknown. The Torture of prisoners that they renamed “Enhanced Interrogation Techniques”. The invasion of Iraq because they had weapons of mass destruction. The outing of the CIA agent. Allowing Osama to escape when they had him in Tora Bora. The mess in New Orleans with hurricane Katrina. The list goes on and on.

Why can’t they just say “we messed up”? We all or most of us know they made mistakes. They just continue to do what they were doing and pretend that everything is fine. If we let them get away with this stuff it tells the next person that this is the way we do things.

My biggest fear with all of the things the Bush administration did is the torture of prisoners. Just because they changed the name does not mean the rest of the world did the same thing. When Cheney was asked if the things they did to prisoners were done to an American service member would it be okay? He said we were justified. He knows he is a war criminal and the rest of the world knows it. My fear is that someone from the Bush administration is caught outside of the United Stated and arrested and charged for war crimes it will put the current President in a tight spot. What could the U.S. do about it? We can’t change the facts. Are we going to say it wasn’t torture because we changed the name? I don’t think that would fly outside this country.

5 comments:

  1. Here is how I see it.

    When someone does not agree with you, you feel they are telling you that you are wrong.

    When you don't agree with someone, you feel they are wrong.

    Two people can have different points of view without either being wrong.

    That is not changing that "facts" as you call it.

    Then again, I could be wrong about all of this. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are missing my point. Maybe I wasn't clear. I was trying to say that people should me able to admit when they were wrong. Most people or far too many people can't say "I was wrong".

    Again I disagree with you in part. Two people can have different points of view but in most cases one will be wrong. There is an exception to every rule that is why I say "most".

    Example: if I say there is a GOD and you say there is not. We can not both be right but in our mind we both are. Only where there is NO proof can we both be right.

    I know I am not always right. This blog is my little world where I get to be right all the time. If you PROVE me wrong I will say it. I don't have that problem :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also believe there is a Santa Claus. Prove me wrong and I will admit it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on Santa. I have pictures of him and he is on TV all the time around Christmas time. I am down with Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry but in this society nothing is never your fault so therefore you are not wrong. My wife told me she is never wrong because that was the way she felt or what she believed at that time. It's not just her, it''s prevalent in our media.
    Just sad.

    ReplyDelete