Monday, July 11, 2011

Independence Day

On the 4th of July I got this Tweet: Independence day, the day in the history of our great nation that we decided that ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL. Enjoy it and remember it.


I tried to ignore it but I could not. The next day I responded to it by saying that the Tweet was not correct. It sounded good and I understood what they were trying to say but ALL MEN were not free at that time. I said in response that all WHITE MEN would be a truer statement. That too was not correct. What I should have said was ALL MEN (except black men) were created equal.

The reason I am posting this is because the person that made the Tweet emailed me saying that their Tweet was correct. I know some people don’t like to let little things like FACTS get in the way of their argument. Some people like to argue just because they don’t want to be wrong.

I don’t think they were trying to be disrespectful. I think they were just feeling patriotic and wanted to share the feelings thru Twitter. Maybe I should not have responded to it and just let it go. There is NO part of me that thinks this person is racist in any way. I was just surprised when they disagreed with me and said they were sticking to the original Tweet. We spent about 6 hours emailing each other disagreeing on what I call documented facts and they call my opinion.

I understand some white people don’t like admit that this country treated black people like animals. That doesn’t change the facts. I don’t blame the white people of today for the things that happened many years ago, but that doesn’t change the facts. I understand that it is a shameful part of America’s history, but it doesn’t change the facts.

They said “enjoy it and remember it”. So let’s remember it.

On July 4th 1776 this is what was written: When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I’m not going to post the entire Declaration of Independence. They went on to list several grievances they had with the King of England regarding the treatment of the colonist. They didn’t bother to exclude black men (I believe) because they considered them to be the same as cattle and chickens. Some of the people that signed the document were slave owners. These are FACTS not OPINIONS. Slavery is an ugly part of America’s history and you CAN NOT dress that turd up.

My reason for posting this, other than just needing something to blog about, is I would like to hear from people that feel that I should not have responded to the Tweet or that the Tweet was correct.

2 comments:

  1. You should have responded and the tweet was incorrect but 6 hours, oh I forgot who wrote it. I have talked with you for many hours myself. Who ever sent it is just ill informed or just stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall stick to what I tweeted and what we discussed for those 6 hours. All men were created equal but fact is all men were not TREATED EQUALLY.

    That is neither ill informed or stupid but I understand how many must resort to name calling when they have nothing else to useful to discuss. That is one of the major problems with our country today.

    ReplyDelete