Friday, October 14, 2011

Occupy Wall Street

On Monday I received an email asking me why I had not posted a comment about what was going on with the Occupy Wall Street (OWS) people. In the email I got the impression that they were trying to say that I was waiting on the main stream media to tell me what to say. That may not have been their intent and could just be the way I took it. I believe it was just me because if you read the things I write you know I don’t always agree with the people on the left and that is where I think I line up politically.


So anyway about the OWS people AKA The 99%. My thoughts about them are reflected in a tweet that I sent out Wednesday night and I have not heard anyone else say this and therefore not coming from the main stream media. “At some point the 1% will realize that the 99% are the TRUE job creators. Without the 99% ANY product brought to market would be WORTHLESS.”

These 1% people need a dose of reality. The truth is they were luckier than anything else. Luck does not make you a better person. If you listen to Fox News and the people on the Right, luck is like being touched by the hand of GOD.

We are all in this together. We are not alone on an island. We are all just people and there is nothing special about any of us. If everyone could understand that we are all equal I think this world would be a better place. I don’t expect to see that in my life time.

The richest person that I know (I think he is the richest) is a liberal. He comes from a rich family and has made more money of his own. After you get past his wealth he is just like anyone else. I called him to get permission to talk about him. He was okay with it as long as I don’t say who he is. He is just like any other guy. He drinks scotch (I don’t remember what type) and smokes cigars (the kind that I don’t think he is supposed to have). I can’t speak about his family but they appear to be close. We have had some really interesting conversations over the past few years. We have talked about past girlfriends, things that he is afraid of; the reality shows that he likes aliens, government conspiracies, and people who pretend to be his friend because of his money. I say this only to show that he is just like the 99% but with money. He is human. We all are.

If you look over the past few decades the income of the 1% has gone up while the income of the 99% has stayed the same or gone down. The profits of most companies have gone up and in some cases are recording record profits. When a company post record profit it seems strange to me that the only ones to benefit from that profit are the people at the top. That is not fair in my eyes. That is one of the complaints of the 99%.

There are many complaints that I see from looking at the signs people are holding up while protesting. Most I agree with and some I don’t understand but I support their right to protest. I do wonder how long it will be before someone tries to make money off of their efforts.

Let me end this by saying what I have said many times before. Hypocrisy and blind greed are two of the things that are killing this country. Those two things describe far too many of the 1%.

1 comment:

  1. Hear, Hear! You are so right.
    It takes just 1% to make a change. Imagine what would happen if 99% changed something. It is definitely overdue. Some protesters might have an opinion I might not support but I definitely support the cause.

    ReplyDelete